Antique Sunbonnet Sue


I just wanted to share one of the pair of antique sunbonnet sue quilts my sister and I grew up with. This quilt was on my bed (in the 70s) and its twin was on my sister's bed. It now hangs over my daughter's bed. My grandmother picked the pair up at a garage sale in Virginia in the early 70s. I think she paid $40 for the pair. Of course back then they weren't really antiques, they were just old used bedding.
My grandmother was an amazing sewer and crafter. She got an MBA from Northwestern Univ from the 30s and worked for Vogue magazine briefly before getting married and starting a family. She never formally worked again, but she started a catering business for her church. She catered events at the National Cathedral in DC regularly in the 80s.
She was particularly into rug hooking. I am just finishing up a quilt top for my daughter (it will go on the bed below this quilt.) I features a center medallion that is based on a design for a rug hooked chair seat, my grandmother designed for her sewing chair. I'll post that soon.
Bye for now.
Lisa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CVQG Show 2007 - Seasons

Zucchini Brownies with Chocolate and Nuts